Universal Meteor Fragen

Diskussionen über alte Motorräder, Infos und Tipps . . .

Moderator: Argus

Antworten
nils_r

Universal Meteor Fragen

Beitrag von nils_r »

Hi- really looking for someone which knows the Universal Meteor B50- I have one and have some issues with it:

1. Front fork- seems the springs are worn out- hardly any spring length for shock absorption left- are there new or reinforced springs available- and how on earth do you get them out- I have a spare fork and overengineering seems a mild expression.

2. It is not possible to move the bike backwards when in gear and clutch engaged- has to put it in neutral. Is this a Universal quirk?- or is it related to something wrong with the kickstarter- it seems it moves when trying to move the bike backwards in gear and with clutch engaged. The gear shift to 3rd and 4th is also quite noisy whereas downshifting is smooth, is this usual or are there adjustment mechanisms?

3. Carb- has now even got new sleeves for the throttle shaft installed and no air leak there. But bike still run irregular on idle (runs good on right side not left side)- I have checked for leaks but should be ok from the manifold. Part load is also not good, any good advices - have tried adjusting float level and ignition extensively

Keen to have someone to discuss with- these are rare and beautiful bikes with a level of engineering surpassing its contemporaries from the 50’s

Best
NilsR

Alex Meyer

Re: Universal Meteor Fragen

Beitrag von Alex Meyer »

Hello Nils
Difficult to find answers to your questions from the distance. Have you been using the bike since a long time and did these problems appear progressively? Or have you aquired the Universal recently and found it doesn't work decently?
1. The springs can get tired after all these years, of course. I don't know any sources for new ones. But they can be made to your specifications by well equipped spring manufacturers (have a look in the "Yellow Pages" of your region). I'll try to find a works-drawing of the fork. Then you probably might guess how to disassemble it...
2. The kick-starter mechanism is one of Universal's weak points. If it hasn't been assembled very carefully, it will give much trouble and cause some destruction! I think it could be the origin of some of your gearbox-troubles.
3. As there is only one carburettor, it seems unrealistic that only one cylinder fails because of it. Are the valves o.k.? Is there too much oil in one of the rocker-boxes? As there is no draining by a return-bore, the accumulated oil has to be removed from time to time, before it floods the valve-guides.
Hope you can sort out the problems one by one, proceeding step by step!
Best regards,
Alex Meyer

nils_r

Re: Universal Meteor Fragen

Beitrag von nils_r »

Thanks for replying!

I bought it a couple of years ago and has since fiddled with it to make it work properly. Lately I installed a new caco seal in the rear drive to make it oil tight and I have installed NOS pistons. Carb setting was never good but I found large play in the throttle shaft- thus sealing this would help but not. I have a spare gearbox and I think there may be a problem with the mechanims engaging the kick starter cog. The kick starter spring is new and good. Alos have a spare fork and tried to dissassemble the spring and very tricky- this is really swiss engineering- costly machining.

Drain the valve covers!- never heard that- always kept them filled with the right amount as per spec., valves, guides etc are all new.

Considering filling the fork with 140W oil to see effect on damping but springs should be changed I believe. And I have all sorts of documentation, specs etc but really useful to meet owners who know the issues from own experience

Best
NilsR

Antworten